Monday, August 29, 2016

Most recent book acquisitions

I want to write a post. But I don't feel like writing a review. I can't focus right now. Even these three sentences have taken me a good few minutes to write, though a lot of that is because I started Stranger Things. Instead of writing a real post I figured hey, I bought a bunch of books recently. Let's post about that instead.
I go through phases with book purchasing, getting a stack and going on a buying ban till I read them, repeat. Recently I just finished the unread pile I had, so it was clearly time I buy a bunch. It's never my intention to suddenly buy a bunch of books. It just sort of...happens that way. We just found ourselves at some bookstores (Just tripped and fell into them, I'd say) and then there were a few sales going on. So why don't we take a look at the latest additions.

Bottom to top we've got

Romeo And/Or Juliet by Ryan North. Another Shakespeare choose-your-own-adventure book (you know, those old things). My friend had gotten me To Be or Not To Be which I never actually reviewed because how can you actually be DONE with a choose-your-own-adventure book? Anyway, I saw this and decided yes, I need more of this in my life. It was the right choice.

China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan. The sequel to Crazy Rich Asians which was a very good time so hey, why not read more about people who "have more money than god"? Besides, CRA sort of ended assuming you would read the sequel so I'm doing what I can.

Secondhand Souls by Christopher Moore. Always more Moore. I've been waiting for this to come out in paperback and look at that, it did. I also happened to forget to bring a book with me, so naturally I had to pick up a couple others. Didn't have a choice, really. It's the sequel (another sequel!) to A Dirty Job one of my fav Moore's about collecting souls and things maybe not going so well.

Tales of Burning Love by Louise Erdrich. I need to expand my reading and I like the Erdrich I have read (even if it's suuuuuper intense) and since this is a bunch of short stories building to a larger narrative I thought that would be fun. Also it's on sale and those are swell.

Above that is my Kindle cos I got a few eBooks as well.

Hag Seed by Margaret Atwood. I got approved for a NetGalley for Atwood's new book (YAY) that is about a guy putting on a production of The Tempest with prisoners.

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (wink) It was on sale and I like sales and people have been talking about this one for awhile so hey, why not?

What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe (aka, guy that does XKCD webcomic) I've been wanting to pick this up for awhile but it was always so expensive. I hope it works well as an ebook cos I had been waiting for an actual copy to go on sale but then this version was cheap and I like cheap.

Maybe this new stack will inspire me to get ahead on reviewing. But for now, I'm gonna keep watching Stranger Things.