Monday, August 26, 2013

A to Z Bookish Survey

I feel like I've been falling behind on blog posts these lasts...well a lot of this year. I used to go for 3 a week, preferably more. Now I'm lucky if I get two done. Some of that is because my laptop is on its last legs which means I tend to use Boyfriend+'s desktop (which I'm on right now) but I'd prefer to lay on the couch and write stuff so I do less random writing. Also he sometimes wants to actually use his computer. Rude. Also I'm lazy and after a long day if the options are A) write a blog post or B) sit on the couch and watch more Shark Week* while playing Amateur Surgeon, guess which one wins.

Is this post about me buckling down and getting back to 3+ posts a week? Ahahaha no. But it is about me doing a bookish survey I found over at Sarah's blog (who in turn got it from The Perpetual Page Turner) because I will hopefully get one review written this week and then I'll also have this to post and look at me go!

Authors you've read the most books from: Wait, I have to get up? Ugh FINE. *runs upstairs to count books* Christopher Moore wins with 13 but Bryson was a close second with 12. So no surprises here.

Best sequel ever: Does a sequel only mean the second book? What about a third in a series? Wikipedia wasn't that helpful in answering this question but it DID teach me the term interquel so win some/lose some. Anyway I extra heart The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde, so even though it's the third in the series I don't care and that's my answer. TAKE THAT, SURVEY

Currently reading: We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. I like this question cos it required a minimum amount of work to answer.

Drink of choice while reading: Anything? I do a lot of reading on the train or subway so I'm not normally drinking anything because I'm not that talented. I guess if I'm reading at home...water? That's boring. How about a single plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat? Yes, that'll do.

Ereader or physical book: It really doesn't matter. If it's a book I think I'll extra super special like, I try to get a physical copy. Or at least I did in the beginning. Considering I have both Attachments and Eleanor & Park in ebooks I've given up that rule.

Fictional character that you probably would have dated in high school: Sirius? Can I say Sirius even though that would have been a bit statuary. I don't think I read enough YA to give a non-illegal answer.

Glad you gave this book a chance: Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple which for reasons I don't understand I was ready to pass on. Then Alice mentioned something about it taking place in Seattle and I thought I GUESS I'll give this a chance AND THEN I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT. Review coming and it will involve a lot of internet yelling.

Hidden gem book: Fforde's Nursery Crime series because I feel like not enough of you realize how hilarious these books are. Or else Octavia Butler's Kindred. READ THEM ALL

Important moment in your reading life: Starting this blog. It's been so wonderful and I've met so many great people and I am incredibly happy to have this little space.

Just finished: Where'd You Go, Bernadette? and I kinda wanted to start it over again when I finished it because it's SO GOOD.

Kind of books you won't read: text books? Not anymore anyway. There are genres I stay away from (romance...) but never say never

Longest book you read: It's gotta be some Stephen King. IT was...well I was going to exaggerate and say 1000 pages but that exaggeration isn't great enough since I think it was closer to 1200 pages. Either IT or 11/22/63 since both of those books went on and on.

Major book hangover because of: I'm blanking on a title. Probably because I was so traumatized. Let's go with Harry Potter, especially the end of this year's readalong.

Number of bookcases you own: 9 and we need more. But some of those are small because Boyfriend+ was in denial of how many books I have and would acquire and we didn't just go with the full size ones to start with

One book you've read multiple times: any of the Bryson books. I don't even know how many times I've re-read them

Preferred place to read: might actually be the train, because it's good uninterrupted reading time. I love laying on my couch and reading but I'm easily distracted and my living room offers up many distractions.

Quote that inspires you: I got nothing...

Reading regret: That I get easily distracted and thus don't get more reading done. This isn't something I can blame on work or whatever. I mean, I could (I WILL) but really, a lot of the time I have some time to read and I end up doing something else, a lot of which is watch stupid TV.

Series you started and need to finish: I don't read that many series so I dunno. I think there are some more books in the Thursday Next series but I haven't seen them in paperback yet. I'm still making my way through Game of Thrones but doing it slowly

Three of your all-time favorite books: Lamb by Christopher Moore, The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde, The Complete Works of William Shakespeare abridged by the Reduced Shakespeare Company

Unapologetic fangirl for: It's probably obvious by now but Fforde, Moore, Bryson. And also Rainbow Rowell. And some Caitlin Moran

Very excited for this release: Ummm. Even though most of my reading is contemporary, I feel like I'm never anticipating a new title. They just sort of happen.

Worst bookish habit: Feeling the need to finish a book even if I'm not liking it. I need to learn to let go

X marks the spot! start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book: You're saying I have to get up again? Which shelf? I went over before there are 9 of them. Fine, I'll just pick one. *gets up again* *grumble/counts* The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison. I didn't try to pick a shelf that had fancy/impressive books. For example, another book on that shelf is Why Do Men Have Nipples? Also, there isn't too much logic to the organization of the books...

Your last bookish purchase: Where'd You Go, Bernadette? Oh man, I feel like I'm talking this book up (even though this one is just asking which bookish thing did I most recently spend money on) my review better be worth it

Zzz-snatcher. Which book kept you up way late?: I do very little reading late a night, instead spending my time watching TV or playing online. I have however spent a lot of time staying up late reading Jenny Trout's 50 Shades of Grey recaps and they're hilarious.

On a completely unrelated note, do you guys know the YouTube channel PBS Ideal Channel? My brother introduced it to me this weekend. He showed it to be Sunday afternoon and I proceeded to watch it for the rest of the day because screw productivity. To make this connect to books, my brother introduced it to me by way of the How Did Sherlock Holmes Pave the Way for 50 Shades? So see, books. Anyway, you should watch it right now. Or if you're at work...well, just discreetly watch it. Or fine, wait till you have some free time.

*Did you know Netflix has the past seasons? BECAUSE IT DOES!