Saturday, February 11, 2012

Tag!

Bev from My Reader's Block actually tagged me last week but I'm still moving slowly. I had been working from home for awhile, but I'm now working in the office. Yay for plenty of reading time during the commute, but boo because I seem to have less time for actual blogging. At least while I get into the new routine. (Also boo for having to wear non-pajama pants/ripped jeans on a regular basis.)  I finished a book (yay) but haven't had time yet to write a post about it (boo) so instead I figured I'd play this.

Here's how this works
1. Post rules. (Got it)
2. Post 11 fun facts about yourself. (I like talking about myself so no problem)
3. Answer questions from the person who tagged you. (11 MORE questions. K)
4. Make up 11 questions for people you tag. (Gah 11 new questions? We'll see)
5. Tag 11 people. (What? That won't happen. I'll tag some, and for those of you I do tag, you're free to ignore me.)
6. Let them know they've been tagged.

11 "Fun" Facts About Me (I don't know how much fun these actually are but here we go)

1. I used to snowboard. I was part of the ski club from 5th-12th grade and we'd go to a mountain every Friday during the season. (I skied the first 3 years, snowboarded the other 5.) One of my criteria for a university was it had to be close enough to mountains to go snowboarding, one of the reasons I stuck to Boston (instead of a warmer city). I have been snowboarding all of 3 times since high school. I'm bad at following through with this.
2. I'm comically clumsy. I walk into walls, fall up stairs, all the time. I've actually given myself a black eye before. And I once broke my own finger. I (assumed) I jammed it playing volleyball. When it still hurt a couple hours later a friend suggested I pull on it to fix it. Solid logic! Turns out it wasn't so much jammed, but it was now broken.
3. When I was little I wanted to be a paleontologist. I was stupidly excited when Jurassic Park came out.
4. I loved sharks when I was little. My first and favorite book was The Golden Book of Sharks and Whales. Now? I'm terrified of sharks. Don't know when that happened, but yup.
5. I love reading (obviously, with the book blog and all) but I hardly ever use libraries. I can't remember the last time I took out a non-reference book from a library. I'm going to assume elementary school. I know, I know. I'd just rather own the book.
6. I work pseudo-tech support. I even sit with IT now. Keep in mind when calling tech support, if you make silly mistakes and don't understand things but are nice, I don't care and I will help you as fast as I can. If you are rude, I will make fun of you and move as slowly as possible.
7. I'm not a fan of hardback books. I think they look nice on a shelf and all, but I hate actually reading them. They're heavy and my hand gets sore holding them.
This is the point where I stop being able to figure out "fun" things about me, so things are about to get less interesting.
8. My profile picture is me at Niagra Falls. This isn't cropped to cut out the whole point of bringing your camera. Boyfriend just took a picture of the back of my head. Weirdo. Then I used it for my blog. Double weirdo.
9. I read both Les Mis and The Hunchback of Notre Dame when I was in middle school because of musicals (Broadway and Disney, to be specific). I understood roughly none of them. I should probably re-read those.
10. I've been to an Olympic men's hockey game. I watched Sweden whoop the US in the Torino games. I was studying in Italy.
11. Despite the red hair, freckles and pale skin I'm not Irish. I am Italian, French, Czech, Hungarian, English & Scottish.

Questions from Bev:
1. Fav childhood book-related memory: Probably reading my dad's copy of On Beyond Zebra by Dr. Seuss. He even made up his own character at the end of the book.
2. If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go? There are so many places I'd like to go: New Zealand, France, Japan, back to Italy. Hopefully I'll be able to make it out to North Ireland soon to visit my friend.
3. Best present you ever received: This question is stressful because nothing is immediately coming to mind and I feel like even if I do come up with something I'm probably going to offend someone for not saying their gift. Boyfriend got me the soundtrack to Avenue Q plus tickets to the show, that was pretty sweet.
4. A song that you could sing the lyrics to right NOW: So many. It's pathetic how much brain space I've given over to song lyrics instead of important things like friends' birthdays. I had "The Humans Are Dead" by The Flight of the Conchords stuck in my head earlier
5. Who was your first friend? Are you still friends? I suppose my friend friend was my neighbor James. He lived next door to me when I was very little and our families became friends. I haven't seen him in a few years though, which is too bad. I should fix that.
6. Do you collect anything? If so, what and how did you get started? I'd say books but that doesn't feel like a collection. I guess I'd have to say music boxes. My grandmother used to get me one every year for Christmas. Some of them are currently sitting in a box in our (unpacked) living room. The rest are in my mom's basement.
7. What is the title of the book that's closest to you right now? Well my Kindle is next to me so lots of books. I was last reading All Her Father's Guns on it though, so I guess that.
8. Are you a morning person or a night owl? I used to be more of a night person but now that work requires me to get up early I can't stay up late anymore.
9. Do you live in a city, the suburbs or the country? I now live in the suburbs and while I do like our new neighborhood a lot, I miss the city. One day I hope to move back. I just need roughly all the money to live in NYC.
10. Have you ever met somebody famous? Who? Nope. At least I can't think of anyone. And I'll assume since I can't think of anyone then they weren't they famous.
11. What would a perfect day be like for you? It would include a relaxing day, hanging out in NYC (maybe some reading in Central Park), eating some good food. Actually the food is the most important part. Good food can go a long way to making a good day.

Now for me to tag some people
Alice from Reading Rambo
Laura from Devouring Texts
Meg from The Terrible Desire
Brenna from Literary Musings
Jennifer from Soy Chai Bookshelf
Sarah from Sarah Says Read

Thought I was done, but now I need to come up with questions for you guys.
1. What's your favorite bookish movie? (Movie based on a book, movie with literary tendencies, whatever)
2. How often do you re-read books?
3. What's your favorite reading spot?
4. Which season is your favorite?
5. What's your profile picture?
6. What's your ideal meal?
7. What's your guilty pleasure TV show, movie, book?
8. How do you like to spend a rainy day?
9. Do you have any good Tumblrs to recommend?
10. If you like to cook (or bake), what's your favorite thing to make?
11. Do you have a big TBR list? Or do you wait until you're done with your current book to buy (or borrow from the library) your next reads?