Thursday, February 23, 2012

110 Best Books for the Perfect Library or I love lists

Imperfect library. Telegraph says you only need 110 books...
I love lists. Brenna at Literary Musings has a list (or rather it's the Telegraph's 110 best books for the perfect library but whatever) and she went through, crossed off the titles she's read and italicized the ones she wants to read. And I wanted to play so I have done the same.

CLASSICS
The Iliad and The Odyssey, Homer
The Barchester Chronicles, Anthony Trollope
Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
Gulliver's Travels, Jonathan Swift
Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë
War and Peace, Tolstoy
David Copperfield, Charles Dickens
Vanity Fair, William Makepeace Thackeray
Madame Bovary, Gustave Flaubert
Middlemarch, George Eliot

POETRY
Sonnets, Shakespeare
Divine Comedy, Dante (I've read Inferno, but not Purgatorio or Paradisio)
Canterbury Tales, Chaucer (I know I've read several parts but not the whole thing)
The Prelude, William Wordsworth
Odes, JohnKeats
The Waste Land, T. S. Eliot
Paradise Lost, John Milton
Songs of Innocence and Experience, William Blake (same here. I know I've read a bunch of stuff from this collection, but not all)
Collected Poems, W. B. Yeats
Collected Poems, Ted Hughes

LITERARY FICTION
The Portrait of a Lady, Henry James
A la recherche du temps perdu, Proust
Ulysses, JamesJoyce
For Whom the Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemingway
Sword of Honour trilogy, Evelyn Waugh
The Ballad of Peckham Rye, Muriel Spark
Rabbit series, John Updike
One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel García Márquez
Beloved, Toni Morrison
The Human Stain, Philip Roth

ROMANTIC FICTION
Rebecca, Daphnedu Maurier
Le Morte D'Arthur, Thomas Malory
Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Choderlos de Laclos
I, Claudius, Robert Graves
Alexander Trilogy, Mary Renault
Master and Commander, Patrick O'Brian
Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell
Dr Zhivago, Boris Pasternak
Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Thomas Hardy
The Plantagenet Saga, Jean Plaidy

CHILDREN'S BOOKS
Swallows and Amazons, Arthur Ransome
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, C.S. Lewis (although I loved the cartoon of it, I never read)
The Lord of the Rings, J.R. R. Tolkien (I looove the movies and I almost made it through the series but Return of the King killed me. I couldn't do it. Also this is in the Children's section? Really Telegraph?)
His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman
Babar, Jean deBrunhoff
The Railway Children, E. Nesbit
Winnie-the-Pooh, A.A. Milne (I think I may have missed my chance here. If I didn't read it when I was little, I probably shouldn't bother now)
Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling
The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame
Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson

SCI-FI
Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, Jules Verne
The Time Machine, H.G. Wells
Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
1984, George Orwell
The Day of the Triffids, John Wyndham
Foundation, Isaac Asimov
2001: A Space Odyssey, Arthur C. Clarke
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Philip K. Dick
Neuromancer, William Gibson

CRIME
The Talented Mr Ripley, Patricia Highsmith
The Maltese Falcon, Dashiell Hammett
The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Big Sleep, Raymond Chandler
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, John le Carré
Red Dragon, Thomas Harris
Murder on the Orient Express, Agatha Christie
The Murders in the Rue Morgue, Edgar Allan Poe
The Woman in White, Wilkie Collins (I'm reading this one in April! I can finally play along with one of Alice's Readalongs)
Killshot, Elmore Leonard

BOOKS THAT CHANGED THE WORLD
Das Kapital, Karl Marx
The Rights of Man, Tom Paine
The Social Contract, Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Democracy in America, Alexis de Tocqueville
On War, Carlvon Clausewitz
The Prince, Niccolo Machiavelli
Leviathan, Thomas Hobbes
On the Interpretation of Dreams, Sigmund Freud (I've read very little of this, but still I'm counting it cos man was it a pain)
On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin
L'Encyclopédie, Diderot, et al

BOOKS THAT CHANGED YOUR WORLD (this seems presumptuous. You don't know what changed my world Telegraph)
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert M. Pirsig
Jonathan Livingston Seagull, Richard Bach
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
The Tipping Point, Malcolm Gladwell
The Beauty Myth, Naomi Wolf
How to Cook, Delia Smith
A Year in Provence, Peter Mayle
A Child Called 'It', Dave Pelzer
Eats, Shoots and Leaves, Lynne Truss
Schott's Original Miscellany, Ben Schott

HISTORY
The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Edward Gibbon
A History of the English-Speaking Peoples, Winston Churchill
A History of the Crusades, Steven Runciman
The Histories, Herodotus
The History of the Peloponnesian War, Thucydides
Seven Pillars of Wisdom, T. E. Lawrence
The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, Compiled at King Alfred's behest
A People's Tragedy, Orlando Figes
Citizens: A Chronicle of the French Revolution, Simon Schama
The Origins of the Second World War, A.J.P. Taylor

LIVES
Confessions, St Augustine
Lives of the Caesars, Suetonius
Lives of the Artists, Vasari
If This is a Man, Primo Levi
Memoirs of a Fox-Hunting Man, Siegfried Sassoon
Eminent Victorians, Lytton Strachey
A Life of Charlotte Brontë, Elizabeth Gaskell
Goodbye to All That, Robert Graves
The Life of Dr Johnson, Boswell Diaries, AlanClark

Only 20 and 1/2 (or a 1/4 or however much those partial reads add up to) books read. But this is a pretty hefty list so I'm still happy with that number. Even if the majority of reads are in the sci-fi section. And NOTHING in the Romance, History or Lives sections. Whoops. Or not so much whoops as yes, that sounds about right based on my tastes.