Tuesday, August 2, 2011

July Reading Wrap-Up

Another month has past. Time is really flying by. July was my chance to read whatever I wanted after my self-imposed China Rican reading challenge. Unfortunately I've found without real effort most of the authors I read are white. And I really made no conscious effort. Oops. Maybe I'll make another, less strict, effort once summer is over. But for now I"m being lazy. Now onto the stats

Number of books read
6
SuperFreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes and Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark
A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee by Sarah Silverman
The Elements of F*cking Style: A Helpful Parody by Chris Baker & Jacob Hansen

Total pages read
1,352

Percentage of fiction read
50%

Percentage of female authors
38%

Percentage of white authors
88%

Percentage of US authors
75%

Percentage of eBooks
17% - this is sad considering I went on vacation and still brought a bunch of actual books with me

Percentage of re-reads
0% - first time this has happened

Books written by decade
1960s - 17%
2000s - 33%
2010s - 50%

I was originally going to say the only area I don't need to focus on is the male to female ratio. When I take it by the book I'm even. Then I realized 2 of the books, SuperFreakonomics and The Elements of F*cking Style, have 2 authors each. Way to throw me off guys-who-can't-write-a-book-by-themselves.

I'm also still catching up on reviews. I swear I'll have them done soon. Soon-ish. Maybe I'll even catch up to the book I'm reading.

Update: I finally got those other reviews posted and linked here.