Thursday, March 17, 2011

Céad Míle Fáilte

Happy St. Patrick's Day! My original plans for the holiday involved seeing Dropkick Murphys, as is my usual, but now that I'm no longer in Boston plans have changed. I totally would have made it on stage this year too. A friend of mine is currently in Ireland, which I'm very jealous of. The festivities are actually bigger Stateside, but I just haven't been to Ireland in a long time and would love to go back. I may not be Irish myself, but my red hair lets me blend in.

Anyway, I was trying to come up with a topic for today. Should I do what I did for International Women's Day and include links to my posts about Irish authors?  Well, I just did that AND I currently have only one post for that list, which is a little pathetic. A lot pathetic. I could skip over St. Paddy's Day and answer the Literary Blog Hop question, but I can't think of a good answer. Certainly not an honest one. I could tell you about the Dublin Writers Museum except whenever I've been in Dublin I've failed to convince people to go with me, so I can't actually tell you what it's like. I have been to the Guinness Storehouse a couple times, but that's not exactly book related. So what to do?

I realized there are a couple other book bloggers out there who have actually done something for the holiday, so rather than come up with something half-assed (more half-assed than what I've already done) I'll send you their way!

The Reading Life is hosting an Irish Short Story week, which Lifetime Reading Plan and Short Story Slore are taking part in.

Sara Reads Too Much and Short Story Slore (very in the spirit!) are both taking part in a Lucky Leprechaun giveaway.

In so many words... has a list of some fantastic Oscar Wilde quotes, which really makes me want to pick up more of his stuff. The Importance of Being Earnest perhaps?

Are there any books by Irish authors I need to get to? And if you're going to say Joyce just know I will probably ignore that suggestion.

If you're curious the title of the post Céad Míle Fáilte means "a hundred thousand welcomes" in Gaelic. The only phrases I know in Irish are that one and  Póg mo thóin which means "kiss my arse".  I can welcome you and insult you. And of course, I can cheers you while drinking (Sláinte). So really I have the important things down and anything else would just be icing on the cake.