Thursday, January 6, 2011

Literary Blog Hop: How I found my way to literary fiction

I'm a little late getting to this blog hop post.  I generally have time during the day to get a post in but we've had some big changes at work and finding time to even make it through my blog roll.  Silly work, getting all kinds of in the way of my important business.

This week's literary blog hop question, host by The Blue Bookcase, is "How did you find your way to reading literary fiction and nonfiction?"

I never had a defining moment that lead me literary fiction.  My mom has always been a voracious reader but never of the literary type.  She always had a book in hand but her books were for escape.  Except David Copperfield; she would quote the opening to that.  There were always books all over the house and my mom encouraged reading of any type.  My dad on the other hand mostly reads newspapers or magazines but studied literature in college.  When he does read, he reads quality and whenever he recommends a book I make sure to check it out.  I'm rarely disappointed.  I ended up somewhere between the the quality/quantity numbers of my parents.  But in the end I read what I read because that's what I like.  I don't want to read something pointless and formulaic.  I don't want to waste my time.  My literature classes through high school and college gave me the insight and the confidence to know that while reading them isn't going to be easy, it's worth it.

What got you into good literature?